It has been an eventful few weeks since my last post. On October 21st I flew to Missouri with Bobi so I could witness our parents meeting for the first time. We also met with some caterers and made some major decorating decisions while I was there. I do so love being part of decorating decisions. On the 25th I had to say good-bye to Bobi at the Kansas City airport and travel back to Haiti. That was obviously a very difficult thing to do, but we both felt that I needed to spend these few weeks in Canaan.
So here I am. Things have been good since I've been back. The kids seem to magically be more responsive to discipline. I think part of that is due to me learning certain weapons I can wield in the school, and that carries over to stuff in the yard as well. I mentioned to someone yesterday that this if the first time I haven't had one of the kids mad at me. That changed this morning, but it was nice for a minute or two.
We are working on doing something special for the kids for Christmas. The large majority of the kids have parents here in Haiti, most of whom live in Port-au-Prince. Some of them come and visit their child once or twice a year, but many of them do not. We are going to invite all the parents to come here for a school banquet before Christmas. Those who want to come will also be encouraged to take their kids home for a week or two. That would be a special thing for lots of the kids. The kids who don't have that option would be taken to a couple nicer spots in Haiti to spend some time. All in all it would be something that I don't think the kids would soon forget.
So that's what is happening here. Two more weeks here in Haiti and then I head home to take care of some things. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Having kids mad at you is just practice for parenthood. Olivia is mad at us every 30 seconds or so. Yesterday it happened so many times I at one point looked at her and said, "Really?" She didn't quite know what to do with that.
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited for you guys. I can't wait to be there with you.
and just for the record, it took took two tries to post and the word verifications were "dograp" (say that really fast 5 times) and "ingstant". Mmmhmmm.
ReplyDelete