Monday, October 5, 2009

Chapel in the Cafeteria

Sunday morning church was a tad interesting this week. With the chapel currently serving my classroom we had to hold the service in our dining hall. It actually worked out splendidly since we had government power to run the ceiling fans. Anyhow, we crammed into the dining hall and went through a fairly normal service. Things got interesting as things wound down.

An older couple from the community came forward because they wanted to be saved. Obviously an exciting moment. As they began talking to Pastor Henri it became clear that they had been living together (for 28 years) and weren't married. They aren't exactly breaking new ground there, but for Christians in Haiti that is unacceptable. Sexual immorality is a huge problem here, not only from a spiritual standpoint, but also on a life or death level, since so many people live in poverty and have trouble supporting children, even in a home with both parents. Pastor Henri simply told them that he couldn't pray with them until they had resolved the living together situation. The obvious solution was for him to marry them first. So in front of 70 kids, a few members of their community, and a visiting team of guys from Florida, this couple got married. Approximately 20 seconds after saying "I do" they also prayed with Pastor Henri and were saved. Big day.

Of course the fun didn't stop there. As soon as the couple turned and went back to their seats Pastor Henri set his sights on Bobi and I. Bobi was more than willing to play along and had already come over and was standing by me with a fairly sizable smile on her face. Pastor Henri began to speak of another couple in attendance who may want to seize the opportunity to join together in holy matrimony. Now let me say that I gave some brief, but alarmingly serious, thought to taking care of business right then and there. Pastor Henri asked if anyone would object to Bobi and I getting married, and was met with only a weak "yes" from Jojo, one of the younger boys. However when he asked if anyone was in favor, he was met with resounding cheers and the banging of tables. Peer pressure at its best. Despite the excitement and rare opportunity to go ahead and marry the woman I love, I simply said "pa kounye" (not now) and the service ended. Such is life here in Haiti.

6 comments:

  1. Your mother would've have killed you. hehe, but how great of you to hold back, it must have been so difficult! Praying for you guys always!
    Love You!
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Steph-you're a prophetess! I have to admit that for a minute, I was scared to keep reading...Thank you guys-for giving us the gift of being there for "the first time around". Never would I have guessed that pa kounye would become two of my very favorite words!!

    What a momentous day for that Haitian couple...May God keep blessing you all!!
    I love you, too!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a story. In light of my engagement experience, I wouldn't have blamed you for getting it done right then and there. But for Brenda's sake, I think you did the right thing. Looking forward to being a part of everything come December.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't believe what I was reading! I almost stopped reading and threw the laptop across the room. I hope there is still a wedding for Melanie and me to attend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol, I find it quite hilarious myself! Man, this is a piece of classic at it's best right there. I have to say, "well done my friend." "pa kounye" life saver words! priceless moment. As a haitian/canaanite, I can see the scene man!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can only imagine how hard that would be! I can so picture that happening though, pretty funny :D

    ReplyDelete