Several people have asked what I do on a daily basis. I wish I had a good answer, but it is never the same. Here is a rundown on how I spent my Monday.
Woke up at 6:30 to go down and do devotions with some of the younger boys. They are somewhat attentive, but generally end up chit-chatting with each other while we talk, which is completely normal for kids their age. After devotions we had breakfast, which was bread and eggs. After breakfast Bobi decided that she needed to go to St. Marc to buy supplies for making Medika Mamba. Usually she gets shipments of the mamba from a factory in the northern part of the country, but they have been late for the last month or so which has forced us to make the mamba ourselves.
At 9:00 Bobi and I went with Jean Wesseley (one of the older guys here at Canaan) to Saint Marc. It takes about 30 minutes by tap-tap. A tap-tap is a pickup truck loaded down with people traveling to and fro. It can occasionally be an uncomfortable ride, depending on how many people are jammed together. On this trip I set up shop on the back bumper, so it was a good ride.
We arrived in Saint Marc and jumped on a motorcycle taxi which took us further into town. We went to the local cell phone store and then to the grocery store. At the store we cleaned out their supplies of peanut butter and vegetable oil. We threw it all in a couple bags and jumped back on a motorcycle. The motorcycle I was on had the driver, Bobi, me, and our huge bag of peanut butter weaving through city traffic back to the tap-tap station. We jumped off the motorcycle and climbed back into the first tap-tap we could find heading back home. We were the first ones on so we had a little sugarcane while we waited.
When we got back to Canaan we mixed the peanut butter and the oil with sugar and milk to make the medika mamba which gets passed out to malnourished kids. We had that done by dinner. After dinner I put in a movie for the kids, which happened to be Little Giants. A fine choice. I sat with the kids and watched the movie for awhile before heading up to Bobi's house with Josh (an Ohio native) to get on the internet for a bit. Two hours and three sent emails later it was time for bed.
So that is a somewhat typical day. Admittedly not the most exciting thing I've ever written, but hopefully it gives everyone a bit of an idea of what happens around here. If I'm not hitting on the interesting stuff please let me know.
Thanks for reading everyone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment