Wednesday, July 22, 2009

So It Begins

We are coming to you from the multi-purpose (eating, working, general loitering) building here at Canaan. I arrived without incident on Monday night and have had a good couple days since. It's been good to reconnect with some of the kids that I got to know in February, and also get to bond with a few new ones. They are helping me with my Creole, and making fun of me while doing it, which I find totally acceptable.

I will indeed be helping with the school here, but I'm not exactly sure what that will look like. Apparently Canaan is being looked at as a model for several other schools in the country so I will be involved with that somehow. My feeling right now is that I will be doing more administrative tasks than I had expected, which is fine with me.

Yesterday I helped out at the clinic. Tuesday is Medika Mamba day which means the people who are in the program bring their kids in to get weighed and measured. It's a little startling to see some of the kids. The kids at Canaan are well fed and well taken care of, but things down at the clinic are quite different.

Internet is a bit fickle tonight so that's it for now. Thanks for reading and thank you to those of you who are praying for me.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that you made it safely. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete