Monday, April 27, 2009

Crossing the Jordan



So what sort of place can lure me from my palatial estate in Sheffield? A place called Canaan.

Canaan is primarily an orphanage which also happens to have a school, a clinic, a church, and a basketball court, which as far as I could tell is only used for soccer purposes. That will change once I arrive, as I hope to impart my knowledge of the floater and the baby-hook to the kids, whether they like it or not. There are around 90 kids staying at Canaan, ranging from 4-21 years old. The staff is mostly made up of locals, with a few foreign-folk (like myself) lending a hand.

Needless to say I'm a fan of the place. A place where kids who were dealt a tough hand are taken care of and loved. Loved well. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that?

On a more personal note (don't faint anyone), I'm very drawn to Canaan because it is a place where selfishness is not an option. That will be an incredible challenge to someone who has lived by himself for the last few years and was nicknamed "Solo" on a trip to Ethiopia last year. My challenge will be to wake up each day and remind myself that today is not about me. Honestly, if I'm not able to do that, then chances are I will be back in Illinois in time to see the Cubs crap out in the playoffs. That challenge of consistently putting myself last is both frightening and exciting at the same time. I don't do this often, but I will ask for your prayers on that specific point.

(and yes, I realize the irony of discussing the selfishness issue on a blog focused on myself)

If anyone has any questions about Canaan or Haiti email them to me. Someday I hope to do a "mailbag" style post. If I don't receive any questions I'll simply be forced to make up embarrassingly stupid ones and attribute them to some of you.

Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

  1. Will you end each mailbag with a "yup, those are my readers?" comment?

    More seriously, I look forward to hearing about your learning to live by putting yourself last. I wonder, before you leave, how much of your current struggle with this is cultural and how much personal? How do you think your struggle will change once you leave this American culture that is very self-centered?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I predict you won't have much trouble with this at all. There is a lot to be gained in America by being selfish. I doubt that will be the case there, but not because selfishness isn't possible...it's always possible. More because...what's the point. That sounds a bit a callous (spelling?), but I think it's a good thing. On the flip side, what's the point of selfishness anywhere? I am giving away my computer after I send this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good points all around. The cultural difference will be a welcome change I think. The personal challenge for me is to be able to deal with people patiently day in and day out. Admittedly not something I'm particularly good at.

    That being said, on my recent trips I've found that the best version of myself usually comes out. Most people who have gone on short-term missions trips have probably had that same experience. I'm just hoping that's the case over a longer period of time.

    ReplyDelete